The Velvet Chamber
An Anthology of Revisioned Myth and Fairy Tale

Explore the dark side of the female psyche --A CALL FOR WRITERS




Jezebel.com supports The Velvet Chamber

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

True story

"Jungian psychoanalysis tends to assume that archetypal patterns derived from male experience are applicable to women's as well.  As a consequence, female archetypes are interpreted according to male patterns, and the male patterns may be allowed to eclipse women's experience altogether."
--- Annis Pratt, Feminist Archetypal Theory

So if you've ever wondered why its impossible to escape the Madonna/whore dichotomy, look no further.  Not to mention the bimbo, the whore with the heart of gold, the hag, the witch, the spinster, and the princess. When writers begin to interpret female archetypes according to female experience, worlds will collide, and one dimensional women will cease to exist. Real women not only have curves, but the capability of being sluts and mothers, grandmothers and whores, princesses and queens, all at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. We are constantly hit with archetypes that we cannot fit. Just the other day, though, I drove behind a car whose license plate read FXY GRMA. You go, grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that it's one of the hardest aspects of parenting to provide balance to the one dimensional narrative that is constantly aimed at the kids. I may seem tiresome, but when I hear my son explain to his buddy why I don't allow the use of the word whore for anyone who isn't paid for sex, I know he's getting it. Ever so slowly.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just trying explaining a virgin birth to a woman with children. I don't think you can. Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete